For your next cookout, give your chicken kebabs flair, using apples, maple syrup and popular herbs in your pantry. This easy recipe is great for last-minute grilling. Need to whip up a sauce to go with the kebabs? Sprinkle in some cranberries to the marinade recipe and serve.
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 3 tablespoons tamarind sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch celery seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 apples, cored and quartered
- 1 cup reserved marinade
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup from Canada
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a large zip-top bag. Add the chicken cubes, onion and apple quarters. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Remove the kebab ingredients from the marinade. Reserve 1 cup marinade and set aside; discard remaining marinade. On long bamboo skewers, alternate the chicken, onion and apple. Grill the kebabs 7 minutes. Turn them over, baste with marinade and cook another 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan. Add cranberries and maple syrup. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Serve with the kebabs.
Makes 8 to 12 kebabs