We are excited to share this Maple Balsamic Chicken recipe, compliments of Jane Maynard from This Week for Dinner. Every Sunday Jane shares a weekly menu and asks readers to share their special home recipes too. In her blog post, she he (re)declares her undying love for real maple syrup. This chicken recipe is the perfect, end of summer dish that is fulfilling without being too heavy. Enjoy!
Maple Balsamic Chicken
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cut into thirds width-wise, then halved height-wise
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 t salt, divided in half
- 1/2 t pepper
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 of an onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- olive oil
- Mix flour, 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper in a plastic bag.
- Pound chicken nice and flat then toss in the flour mixture.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in large pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken in oil then set aside on a plate.
- Put onions in the pan and sautée over medium heat until translucent, adding a bit of oil to the pan if needed.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms are cooked and liquid has evaporated.
- Add broth, syrup, vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt and browned chicken.
- Bring sauce to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low, so sauce is still simmering.
- Cook about 10 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with pasta or mashed potatoes.