Do you like savory dishes with a hint of sweetness? You might want to try these cabbage rolls with maple syrup. Stuffed full with ground beef and wrapped in cabbage leaves, the sweet n’ savory bundles are dressed in Classic tomato sauce for a tangy contrast. These fun-looking snacks make excellent party appetizers or can be served at lunch alongside a salad.
- In a stockpot, place cabbage and cover with water; add salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until outer leaves soften, about 10 minutes. Remove 6 large outer leaves; set aside.
- Cut the cabbage in quarters; cut out and discard the core. With a sharp knife or in a food processor, finely chop the cabbage and place in a colander to drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, onion, egg, bread crumbs, 2 cups of the finely chopped cabbage, and 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup; mix well.
- Spread out one of the reserved cabbage leaves and cut out the hard center vein. Form 1/2 cup of the beef mixture into an oval, place it on the leaf and wrap completely. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling.
- In a deep 10- or 12-inch skillet with a tight-fitting lid, stir remaining minced cabbage, tomato sauce and remaining maple syrup together. Place the six rolls on top; add water just to cover rolls. Cover pan and simmer on very low heat until rolls are cooked through, 75 to 90 minutes. Remove cabbage rolls to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the toothpicks from the cabbage rolls; pour the sauce over the rolls and serve immediately.