4 cups butternut squash
16 ounces butter (divided)
1/2 cup de pico de gallo (See Recipe Below)
2 tablespoons canola oil
12 large scallops
9 tablespoons pure maple syrup from Canada
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons capers
6 lemon segments, cut in thirds
Cilantro, finely chopped to garnish
Salt to taste
Pico de Gallo Ingredients
1/2 cup tomato, diced
1/8 cup Spanish onion, diced
2 tablespoons cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a deep sheet pan, arrange squash, chiles, and half the butter. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Smash roasted ingredients to make a puree. Add pico de gallo to puree and season with salt.
- In a pan, add oil. When hot, sear scallops on both sides until golden brown. Add maple syrup to pan to deglaze, and let it reduce until thick.
- Heat up another pan and when really hot, add the rest of the butter and cook butter for 10-15 seconds until brown. Add lemon juice, capers and lemon segments to make a sauce, no additional cooking time is needed.
- To plate, spoon 1/2 cup of butternut squash puree in the center of a plate. Arrange 3 scallops over the puree. Sauce with brown butter and add a touch of the maple reduction to finish it. Garnish with microcilantro.
Pico de Gallo Instructions
In a bowl, combine all ingredients, making sure the tomatoes are more visible than the onions.