Enjoy this easy and delicious maple pulled pork with flavorful spices enhanced by the subtle sweetness of maple. Serve at your summertime barbecue with a side of maple coleslaw, or make ahead for a game day tailgate the whole team will love!
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne
1 boneless pork butt or shoulder roast, trimmed
1 onion, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup maple syrup
¼ cup tomato paste
- Rub meat with chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne and salt.
- Place onion and garlic in a slow cooker and place meat on top of onions.
- Combine vinegar maple syrup and tomato paste in a small bowl. Pour over meat.
- Cover slow cooker; cook over low heat for 8 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat and onions; pull apart into shreds and place in a bowl. Spoon fat from cooking liquid. Moisten pulled pork with some of the cooking liquid.
- Serve pork on buns with barbecue sauce and maple coleslaw on the side.