Start a new family tradition this winter with old-fashioned gingerbread cookies! Beyond the cookie, you will enjoy the warm aroma of cinnamon and clove in your home as the cookies bake. These festive holiday desserts are perfect for last-minute party gifts or for a fun cookie-decorating activity your whole family can enjoy. To decorate, use maple butter and decorative icing as “glue” that holds sugar and mini candies in place.
- In a skillet over low heat, heat maple syrup and butter. Add ginger, cloves and cinnamon; stir and remove from heat to cool. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl, sift 1-1/2 cups of the flour. Make a well in the center and add the maple syrup mixture, egg yolk and dissolved baking powder; mix well. Knead mixture, adding remaining flour to obtain firm dough that does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet.
- Using a rolling-pin, on a floured surface roll out dough until 1/4-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out a variety of shapes. Place on baking sheet; bake on top oven rack until cookies are slightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
- Using maple butter and decorative icing as the glue, decorate the cookies with an assortment of sugars and mini candies, if desired.