Maple syrup is one of my favorite natural sweeteners and apparently is that of some smart thieves as well who stole a quarter of Quebec’s maple syrup reserves equal to $30.4 million dollars (U.S.). Perhaps the thieves know about how delicious the many different Canadian varieties (light amber, medium amber, dark amber) of pure maple syrup are and one could also surmise that they are in the know about the incredible health benefits of maple syrup.
Whether I’m making salad dressing, roasted vegetables, granola, whole-wheat crepes, or hemp milk, I turn to maple syrup for the sweet kick. Not only is it super yummy, but pure organic maple syrup also has many health benefits! Want to enhance your workouts? Before exercising, maple syrup supplies energy in the form of simple carbs. During workouts, the electrolytes in its natural sugars increase stamina. Finally, its high levels of magnesium and zinc help with muscle recovery and replenish the body with nutrients after exercising.
Health Benefits of Maple Syrup:
1. Maple syrup is a great source of manganese, a mineral that provides essential energy and antioxidants to the body and also boosts the immune system while reducing inflammation.
2. Maple syrup has fewer calories than other natural sweeteners such as honey, agave, and sugar.
3. Maple syrup adds and enhances the flavor of food whereas unnatural sweeteners such as Splenda and Equal change the taste of what we consume; most sugar substitutes have a chemically enhanced ‘fake’ taste.
4. Maple syrup lacks the harmful side effects of unnatural sweeteners. Splenda contains sucralose, which is a chemically altered form of sugar with chlorine added to its formula. Equal contains aspartame, which has been said to cause cancer, birth defects, and other abnormalities. Although these sweeteners boast zero calories, studies have shown that they do more harm for your body than good.
5. Unlike sweeteners, pure maple syrup is not processed and is free of chemically modified and artificial ingredients. High quality maple syrup is 100% natural (when labeled as such), meaning that it contains no coloring agents, artificial flavors, or additives (it’s made from tree sap, which is boiled and drained).
6. Maple syrup includes over 30% of the daily value needed of riboflavin for a healthy metabolism.
7. Maple syrup contains 18% of the recommended dose of zinc, which is an important mineral for a healthy immune system. Higher levels of zinc in men are known to decrease the occurrence of prostate cancer and the size of the prostate gland.
With maple syrup you can satisfy your sweet tooth and improve your health at the same time! One of my favorite maple syrup brands is Pure Canadian Syrup.
Here are a few great ways I include maple syrup in my diet: